Glenvista Baptist Church Our statement of belief
The London 1689 Baptist confession of Faith
The London 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith is taught in our church. The elders of the church hold to this statement of faith and our people are taught based on this doctrinal stance.
Our Statement of Belief
1. We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament in their original writing as fully inspired of God and accept them as the supreme and final authority for faith and life.
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three Persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true Man.
4. We believe that God created man in His own image; that man sinned and thereby incurred the penalty of death (physical and spiritual); that all human beings inherit a sinful nature which results (in the case of those who reach moral responsibility) in actual transgression involving personal guilt.
5. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, a substitutionary sacrifice, according to the Scriptures, and that all who believe in Him are justified on the grounds of His shed blood.
6. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus, His ascension into Heaven, and His present life as our High Priest and advocate.
7. We believe in the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
8. We believe that all who receive the Lord Jesus Christ by faith are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God.
9. We believe in the resurrection of the just and the unjust; the eternal blessedness of the redeemed and the eternal banishment of those who have rejected the offer of salvation.
10. We believe that the one true church is the whole company of those who have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit; that the local church on earth should take its character from this conception of the church spiritual, and therefore that the new birth and personal confession of Christ are essentials for church membership.
11. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ ordained two ordinances – baptism and the Lord’s Supper. We believe that baptism is the immersion of the believer in water as a confession of identification with Christ in burial and resurrection, and that the Lord’s Supper is the partaking of bread and wine as symbolic of the Saviour’s broken body and shed blood, in remembrance of His sacrificial death until He comes again.
12. We believe that God has sanctioned marriage between a man and a woman, therefore we believe in heterosexual relationships between a natural man and a natural woman within the confines of lawful matrimony. Adherence to this stated principle of sexual behaviour is an inherent requirement for membership.